all my secrets bared
The long awaited questionnaire for Secret Pal 7 is finally out! Here are all my knitting secrets (feats of daring and faux pas) bared for the world to see. Frankly, I can't wait to get my secret pal and start spoiling them.
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
I prefer natural fibers like cotton, wool, and linen, but as long as there's less than 50% synthetic fibers in the yarn, I'll knit with it!
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Neither, although I would like to learn how to spin someday.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Right now, my yarn basket... but I just got some really pretty fabric to sew a needle case. Anybody got a great pattern for one?
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Hmm, I have been knitting scarves, bags, and socks for about a year now, and I just finished my first hat last month. I can read patterns fairly well, and can use DPN's and circs. I'm itching to try a sweater for Bug or starting some fair isle next, but I haven't had time to sit down and plan out my next project yet....so I would say an intermediate?
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Mmm... hard to say. I like earthy, natural smells like citrus, herbal, and floral scents, but nothing too fluffy like roses. My latest find was a tube of Cherry Blossom body cream from Bath and Body Works. It reminded me of a soap in D.C. at one of the Smithsonian gift shops. Yummy!
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes! It is my ultimate downfall. Faves in order: Chocolate, Caramel (especially mixed with chocolate), and Strawberry Pocky. However, I like to try new candy, especially local things, as long as they do not contain cinnamon. Those little red hots candies are despised. (I think it is because my Mamaw fed them to me regularly as a child.)
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I like to sew, quilt, bead, paint, and create small woodblock prints and stationery.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Ooooh...yes I can play mp3s, and just about any kind of music is good. Instrumental music is always good. I like to experience new things and music really enhances my creativity, so I play it a lot while I am working in my small studio/office.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Trick question!!! All colors are my friends, possibly with the exception of pastels and day-glo neon retina scorchers. Those I just can't take in large amounts. Any other colors are fair game. Recently, I have been choosing fabrics for a quilt top in oranges, greens, pinks, and reds, so I figure blues are up next. Colors take me by surprise, and I never know which will attract me next.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have happily spent the last seven years of my life with Bug, and our two cats Sidney and Molly. We want to get a dog someday, but we know that it will be after Sidney is out of the picture, because Sidney is just a big freaked out scaredy cat when it comes to ANY dogs, big or small.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves, yes. Hats, sometimes. Mittens, yes. Ponchos in my size = tent, so definitely not.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Another trick question! So many trick questions! There are so many yarns I haven't tried yet, how am I supposed to know. Currently, I like knitting with Cascade 220. It's a good standard yarn for standard knitting (hats scarves socks). Not too rough, but not totally flimsy either. I really want to expand my stash and try some new things. Softer, but not too fluffy.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
That eyelash fun fur yarn. It's too hairy for me. I prefer to see the stitches in what I'm knitting. I also do not like 100% synthetic yarns. They just don't feel right to me.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I can't wait to start on my Sweet Mary Janes! I just have to pick a yarn to use...
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Probably socks, simply because they are portable and don't take too much attention to knit. Simple scarves are second on my list also becuse they are easy to make and usually end up looking terrific.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Right now I am making the Irish Hiking Scarf for my Mom.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Now who is going to say no to a handmade gift? Of course I do! I love to give them too... nothing says love and care more than something that someone has taken the time to create just for you.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I don't have many circs yet, so I'll have to say straight needles (dpn's). I can knit with either one, so no preference.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Depends on the yarn. Some wools are too grabby on the bamboo, so that's when I love my aluminum needles. I use just about anything as long as they're light.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I am the proud owner of a thrifted ball winder from the ancient past. It works pretty well for the $6 I paid for it at St. Vincent de Paul. Sadly, I am swiftless, but Bug is usually pretty understanding when I need her to help in that capacity. She realizes that there is a knitted object in her future if she doesn't complain, so it all works out in the end.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My Mamaw taught me to knit and crochet when I was a lot younger, but I decided to pick it back up after my friend, Zabet (of the AntiCraft infamy) began to knit. I read a lot and basically taught myself with a few pointers from her.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
A two year old scarf that is about half finished, and destined to be frogged and the yarn donated to my Girl Scout troop. Yep, you guessed it: 100% acrylic.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I don't really have a favorite, but I seem to be awfully entranced with the Backyardigans these days. They are so cute, and they use their imaginations to have fun and go on exciting adventures. From the group, I would say that Austin is my favorite. A little bit shy, but helpful to anyone, he's a lot like me.
As far as non animated creatures, I love little red birds like cardinals and tanagers. They are so cute and cheerful.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Definitely Halloween! Fall is my favorite time of the year, but costumes, pumpkins, and candy just make it perfect.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Cool fabrics to use for crafts and quilts, and patterned papers for bookbinding. I love increasing my stash!
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None. I glean most of my knitting knowledge from the internet by reading gobs of blogs. :)
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Probably more fun sock yarns like Koigu PPPM or the Trekking XXL I've been hearing so much about. Just about anything other than Cascade 220 would be exotic to me right now. :)
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Fair isle and lace knitting.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter! I wear a size 10 shoe, so a large women's sock fits my big girl ankles really well... and thin socks always fit better than thick.
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
Soon! 02/09 is just around the corner...